Wednesday 19 September 2007

Decentralised Energy



I'm no pioneering thinker; let alone scientist. But, I do have my moments in a day, where I may drift off into my own mind; drafting solutions to end some of the world's problems. I imagine I'm not alone.

I've been fairly convinced for a little while, that with ever depleting natural resources, the only alternative apart from wind and hydro electric power, is the nuclear route. Scary.

I was a little surprised when I fell on top of this YouTube video, and quite literally opened my eyes. Suprised; because the concept is ingenious, and why isn't this in more main stream thought - I'd never heard of this concept, but the idea is so simple.

We produce masses of centralised power, but two thirds of it is lost in the production and delivery *chin hits floor*. Move energy production more locally, and you double the output; maybe more. It doesn't solve the fossil fuel dependency problem, but it gives us longer to come up with an alternative.

This model is already in production in some parts of the world; notably Denmark. Plus, combining energies such as wind, hydro, solar and biomass, we become even less dependent on fossil fuels, which is ultimately the goal.

It's a fairly long video, but I encourage anyone to watch it. I'm still struggling to understand why the UK government is hesitant to implement a decentralised model. More so, with current power stations being decommissioned and replaced within the next few decades.

0 comments: