Wednesday 26 March 2008

Ready, Steady, Grow!


My wife Sally and I have spent quite a few weekends and hours down the allotment over winter. To be honest, Sally has done the bulk of the preparation work, and I've just been tidying the paths and building borders to get it more organised and manageable.

Our wild plot has now taken on some shape and form, and looks quite half decent. Sally has painstakingly dug and weeded over almost the whole plot, and it is looking really good. No doubt the weeds will come, and in force. But with the plot in its current shape, we probably won't be wanting to throw the towel in like we did last year.

We had a little mishap with the garlic in January, where I basically built a path over where it had been planted - oops! But, we've chucked some more in, and we now have the onions, shallots and early potatoes in.


It's a little concerning about the recent late cold weather we have been getting, but I have some faith that - to coin an Ozzie phrase, and one of my favourites - "She'll be right!". Hopefully the snow will be the last of winter we see, and we can just get on with the usual miserable British weather.

Having said that. Remember last April? It was a scorcher. But then we got the wettest summer on record! I reckon we will be in for a bit of the same to be honest, but I'll be keeping everything crossed that it's not.

If you're a fellow allotmenteer, good luck with the new growing season. Leave a comment and put a link to your blog if you have one. I should have another update in the next couple of weeks.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.